The Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighbourhood.

Saturday 16 November 2013

Linda B's Quilting

I'd like to say, we've had a busy couple of weeks, but then I'm left to wonder, when is it not busy? With a family of five, there always seems to be activity, and almost never a non-busy time. So rather than thinking about that, I will simply let you know about a few of the things we've been up to.

I've been teaching a beginner's quilting class. I call it "Linda B's Quilting". I advertised in the local community newspaper and ended up with three students looking to learn how to quilt. It's interesting, as two out of the three have already done some quilting, but are looking to learn some of the finer techniques. I love it!

The class was set for six weeks with two hour classes each week. Since it was designed as a beginner class I chose a simple pinwheel design, off set by alternating solid blocks. Since we are headed into the Christmas season, I chose a few beautiful seasonal prints, using an embedded print cream fabric as the background. The finished product should measure approxinately 54" x 54" - a nice lap quilt.

Through this experience I met a few great gals from the neighbourhood. Carol is a lot of fun. She loves to laugh and always has a tid bit to share about her grand daughters or her experiences from living in northern Canada. She had never quilted before, but upon retirement started pursuing new hobbies, When the opportunity presented itself to learn to quilt she went out to buy a new machine and signed up. I have loved getting to know Carol and I hope we will remain friends and quilting buddies.


Carol squaring up and pressing her pinwheels.


And the finished product!

Freddie has done a little bit of quilting in the past, and offers a lot of encouragement and so much insight. Freddie was hoping to learn some of the more technical parts of quilting, proper techniqes and such. I really hope I was able to help her with this process. She has a great eye for colour choices, and swapped out the cream solid squares for her own choice - bright red!


I think it goes well with the design and cannot wait to see the finished product.

Angie was the only one I had met previous to the class. Angie is a busy mom of young children and still finds time to quilt. She has completed a few quilts as well, and much like Freddie, was looking for some of the more technical skills. Angie has been busy most of our class nights, but has been working away at her own pace, often sending me photos of her progress. I cannot wait to see her finished product as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment