The Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighbourhood.

Tuesday 10 March 2015

Body Butter

I love the feel of body butter on my hands. I finally found a recipe I was interested in trying.

6 oz coconut oil
2 oz cocoa butter
Peppermint EO

I melted the oil and butter in the microwave. I then placed it in the fridge. Seems a bit backwards, but the coconut oil is a solid and the cocoa butter comes in little pellets. You are not able to whip them as a solid, so I need to find an in between state.

As the mixture turned more opaque I began to whisk and place in the fridge. I did this until it started to cream nicely. At this point I added approximately 1/2 tsp of vitamin E oils. I also added a squirt of Aloe Vera gel.

I then took out my egg beaters.

It took a while, but eventually I got a nice creamy whiped body butter. It smelled great, minty, and looked good enough to eat (at least my husband thought so).

I scooped it into containers and its ready for use.

It could be the fact that it is currently winter, but I found the body butter returned back to a full solid state. It does  rub into your skin on contact, but it is no longer a creamy texture when you take some out. I also found the coconut oil made my skin look "wet" when first applied. Although my hands did not particularly feel greasy, they were damp until the oils had fully absorded.

I researched some more and discovered I could add some stabilizer to the body butter. I scooped everything back into my mixing bowl, and here's where I've lost track of all my amounts of additional add in's...

So basically I added a couple more squirts of Aloe Vera gel, 1 tsp avocado oil and a couple tsp of cornstarch. 

I really like the end result, although I was just told that cornstarch is not too great when the weather turns warmer and Arrowroot Powder would be a better choice as a stabilizer. I will try that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment