The Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighbourhood.

Sunday 11 January 2015

The Mennonite in me - Part 3

I feel as though I'm a bit on a roll now. The ideas keep coming in and the this new hobby is just like any other, once you start it just keeps growing.

Lip Balm...

This is Apricot Lip Balm. It smells divine! The challenge is to get the correct beeswax to coconut oil ratio in order to go on nice and smooth.

The recipe I used is this...
- 1/3 cup beeswax
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp honey
- a few drops of apricot flavour oil

The beeswax was purchased at Soap and More in little pellets. They were cream coloured.

Next up, Toilet Bombs...


The recipe...
- 1 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1 tsp water
- lemon grass EO


Mix the baking soda and citric acid together in a bowl until well blended.
Combine the water and EO into a small container or spritz bottle. I actually used a small medicine cup.
Gently add the water and EO to the powders, mixing with a fork as you go.The idea is to make it stick together but if you add too much water or add it too quickly it will begin to "fizz" which defeats the purpose.
Once you are satisfied the mixture will clump together (I had to add a little extra water), press it into your molds. I used an old ice cube tray. Set aside to dry for several hours.

Pop out of molds and they are ready for use. They are meant to be tossed into the toilet to deodorize and freshen up. I find the lemon grass smell so wonderful and refreshing I added it to the shower as well and allowed it to dissolve.

Laundry Soap...

- 1 bar Sunlight brand laundry soap, grated and pulverized to a powder using my food processor.
- 1/2 bar lever 2000 citrus scent 
         (I added this mostly for the scent, not because I think its a great laundry bar soap)
- 2 cups of washing soda
- 2 cups borax
- 1 cup baking soda

I use about one small scoop (approx 1/4 cup) per load. I just add it to where powdered detergent goes in my washer.

Fabric Softener...

Of course, this goes along with the laundry soap.
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar
- 1 cup hair conditioner. I used coconut scent - the least expensive brand.

I mixed this into an empty pancake syrup jug. I just shake it up and squirt it into my fabric softener spot in the washer.





No comments:

Post a Comment