The Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighbourhood.

Sunday 11 January 2015

The Mennonite in me

Lately I have felt an urgency to experiment with homemade cleaning supplies. It must be the Mennonite in me.

I was looking to experiment with products which would be more natural, have fewer harsh chemicals and be better for our bodies. There is an increase in environmental irritants and I think the more I can do to safely substitute products the better off we'll be.

I started out with some soap making...

... MELT and POUR

Ok. This isn't really soap making. I went to Michael's and bought a ready made base. I chose to use a white Goat's Milk base. I'd heard that goat's milk was good for the skin so decided this would be a great place to start. I chose to make a lemon poppy seed soap as well as a lavender soap.

Using the Melt and Pour base I simply melted the soap cubes in the microwave, added the extras - poppy seeds and lemon zest, poured into my molds and allowed it to set.


For the lavender soaps I added poppy seeds, coconut flakes and lavender scent.


They are pretty and smell nice, but there are too many poppy seeds. It feels more like using sandpaper on your skin. First lathering it onto a washcloth is better.

However, I was on a roll and really wanted to use green tea...
For the next batch I steeped some really strong green tea, blended up some cucumber and added that to my base. Disgusting.. is the only word for it.


It turned an ugly green/brown. You can smell the cucumber, but it is not very appealing. It works well as soap, just does not look or smell nice.

Attempt #1.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment